Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Cult: Awakening of the Old Ones

This project came to me in a sort of strange way.  I am a regular reader on the Bay 12 forums, and I had come across this project's thread and found it very interesting.  Some time later, on a whim I posted a thread on the forums looking for a music project, any project, I just needed something to strive towards.

Lord Dullard replied to my post and stated that he would love to have custom music in his game.  That very day I began pouring into his blog and the forum thread for information, and by the end of it, I had an idea in my head about a title track.  I began to put down the notes and eventually had the track rounded out, but it was missing something.  I added some wind to the background, and sent it off to LD.

Cult-Title

I think he was surprised by my punctuality, and I was surprised he held my first draft in such high regard.

I immediately began work on a second track for use during world generation.  My main idea was to make an acoustic guitar sonata (though it ended up being one section short).  I had built an intro and an outro's basic structure and I sent it off to LD before I went to bed to see what he thought of it, and when he responded that it was going to be put into his tech-demo build, I was ecstatic.  I went to work finishing the middle of it as soon as I could.

Cult-Worldbuilder

I took about a week to reflect and gather inspiration, and then I wrote the track that will play during autumn, whenever the game gets to that point.  I started the track with a 12-string guitar, but opted for a grand-piano instead.  The whole piece follows a single five-chord progression, and each repetition builds further complexity the main themes.  I added an echo chamber in post as it gave the space between strikes a sort of humming quality, while giving the overall piece a sense of distance and foreboding.  I really like how it turned out.

Cult-Autumn

I'm very satisfied with the vision LD has for Cult, and I really like what I see so far as far as his world and creature generators go.  If you haven't visited his blog yet, you can find it here.  The hypothetical back-story that he put together is a magnificent read, and I am very excited to see where this goes in the future.  If you are able, please donate to him.  I really want to see his vision fulfilled.

Stay tuned for future updates.

1 comment:

  1. Awesome - glad to see you've got a blog up. I'll be following, of course.

    ReplyDelete